Women and Museums featured a panel of museum professionals. This talk took place at the Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen’s Park Circle, on April 8, 2011.
Cara Krmpotich is Assistant Professor in the Museum Studies program at the iSchool, University of Toronto. Her work focuses on the relationship between repatriation, memory, kinship, and material culture. In 2009, she helped to organize a visit by 21 members of the Haida First Nation to the British Museum and Pitt Rivers Museum, providing hands-on access to almost 800 artifacts.
Janet Carding is the first woman appointed to the position of ROM Director and CEO. She is responsible for furthering the Museum’s mission, advocating for its ongoing public and private sector support, promoting itsresearch, programs, and collections, and overseeing the management of the Museum’s operations, which include exhibitions, programs, education, visitor services, administration and facilities management. A museum professional for over two decades, Ms. Carding originally hails from England where she obtained her degree from Cambridge University in History and Philosophy of Science and a Masters from the University of London in History of Science and Medicine.
Professor J. Lynne Teather (D.Phil. Museum Studies, Leicester) has research interests which focus on a range from the history and philosophy of museums and on contemporary issues in museum development, such as digitization and social engagement. Prof. Teather plays an active role in a number of professional museum associations such as the CMA, AAM, and ICOM, particularly in advising on curriculum for professional development and human resource management issues and thus is Secretary of the International Council of Training of Museum Personnel.. She is also a Research Associate of the Royal Ontario Museum. She is the author of The Royal Ontario Museum: A Prehistory, 1840-1914 (2005).
The Royal Ontario Museum – also known as the ROM – was formally founded in 1912, and was originally built to house five separate museums: archaeology, palaeontology, mineralogy, zoology, and geology. In 1955, the five museums were amalgamated as one. In 2007, the ROM opened the Michael Lee Chin Crystal, designed by architect Daniel Liebskind. For more information, see ROM.
Use this in the classroom
- Historical Thinking Concepts & Critical Thinking Challenges
- Concepts de la pensée historique et défis de pensée critique
- Education at the ROM (resources for teachers, school programs, travelling education kits)